Wednesday 6 February 2013

"Ah Boys To Men" rakes in S$4.9m in 18 days



Army-themed local movie, "Ah Boys To Men", directed by Jack Neo, is the second-highest grossing Singapore film ever, raking a sales number of S$4.9 million in 18 days after its launch. How is it that an army-themed local movie is able to bring about such an enormous figure in sales? Is National Service in Singapore depicted in such a realistic and humane manner?

We ask local Singaporean sons about how they feel about the movie. 

Mr Steven Seah, a student from Singapore Management University, who previously served the army as a 3rd Sergeant, said,"The movie really brought back memories of myself during BMT (Basic Military Training), and I miss all the times I had serving the nation together with strangers who slowly became my best buddies. All the blood, sweat, and tears I shared with my buddies, will be in my heart forever."

"I really like how the movie is depicted in such a realistic and humane manner, reminding me of all the times I had serving the nation. Everything depicted in the movie seem so familiar, even though I've already ORD-ed seven years ago. I believe it is a really good illustration of the Singapore Armed Forces for Singaporean sons who have not gone through national service yet." Said Mr Tan Cheng Wai, a 28-year-old Accountant. 

In one of the scenes of the movie, Singapore is depicted as being at war. In that particular scene, many of Singapore's infrastructures were destroyed by the enemy forces, and Singapore soldiers fought to drive the enemy forces out of the country.

"That particular scene reminded me why Singaporean sons must serve the nation, because the bustling city and the peace we enjoy in this day and age did not come by chance, but because of the army uniform we are wearing." Said national-serviceman Mr Joel Ang, who has 6 months till his operational ready date.

Gerald Liew, a third-year diploma in Aeronautical Science student, who is enlisting later this year, said, "After watching this movie, I can say I'm quite excited about enlistment. Even though it's going to be tough, I'm sure it will be worth it... the skills and experiences which only come by once in a lifetime." 

Besides portraying the Singapore Armed Forces in a realistic way, the movie also incorporates Jack Neo's very own local humor that definitely invoke laughter in the audience. 

The theme song of the movie, "Recruit's Anthem", also drew much attention because of the army terms which are portrayed as local slangs, and Singaporeans would definitely be able to relate to. 

Click on the video below for the theme song of "Ah Boys To Men":



Noah Yap is the only one out of the four main characters (recruits) of "Ah Boys To Men" who has not yet served the nation, and has admitted he wasn't aware serving the nation is so tough. 

Click on the video below for the interview with the main characters of "Ah Boys To Men":


No comments:

Post a Comment